Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Victor's Commentary & Photos continued...


Victor, Romina + Friends at the MET during Robert Rauschenberg Exhibit

This trip made me very happy and proud to be a curator. At this juncture in history we are in the most dire need of cultural and intellectual exchange and a fostering of a focus upon the humanities as opposed to the world of force and profit. These experiences should be available to more than just the elite of the art buying world and set in contexts that make it clear that these avenues of expression are available to anyone who is willing to take the time to think, educate and express themselves. The art world needs to be explored by more people of more varied backgrounds. I noticed that the majority of people at this fair were white people and fairly well off at that. There needs to be more out reach to more diverse communities and further development of new viewing, new discussion, new criticism and new art from people outside of the traditional art world. The Armory and the other fairs are supposed to be public showcases for new art. I saw no street/graffiti artists represented except for Shepard Fairey, no street dancers, no street musicians or DJs and basically a format which showcased mostly retail oriented art at high dollar ranges for the affluent. One juried section at Scope yielded some interesting stuff including a few performance pieces, but the ticket prices to the fair were prohibitive to many and I'm sure there were no outreach programs to the less monied areas of New York.

Despite my social criticisms of the events I still had a great time and was often overwhelmed with beauty. For some reason, while stopping through the Cyprus room on my way to the Rauschenberg exhibit, I was moved to tears. Something about the shifting of appearing and disappearing cultures, the wars both historical and recent, especially in the region of the world in which the work existed, having witnessed the changes between, Greek, Islamic and Christian cultures made me see that all of these attempts at political control over each other are somehow useless and feeble in the face of a good piece of art or literature, or just seeing the look on someone's face as they take in a timeless work. The experience becomes a kind of timeless consciousness machine. (continued below...)

--Victor Sheely Morales, Gallery Director, ADM PROJECT

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Victor, thank you so much for mentioning the social exclusion that exists in the art world (not necessarily a purposeful exclusion, but one that exists in any case. Also, it often seems self-imposed by the victimous group. Is victimous a word? lol)
I'm trying to create opportunities here in Browning so that I can survive for my short stay. Our open mics are going very well; in fact, I'm ecstatic to find that so many people in this community are willing to come out and participate in such an event. :) Other projects are in the works and it all makes me very happy. Thanks for all of the encouragement and support. It really helps.

10:21 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

2:54 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

3:04 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

6:28 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

6:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

6:37 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home